Blue, red, white, dark blue
Piston Cup racer
- "We had some good times together. I'm gonna miss that the most, I think."
- —Cal Weathers, Cars 3
Cal Weathers is a professional race car who raced for the Dinoco team in the Piston Cup Racing Series, before retiring in 2016. He is a Capitol Motors Mark II. The nephew of seven-time Piston Cup champion Strip "The King" Weathers, Cal grew up watching his uncle tear up the track, and he became the Dinoco racer following his uncle's retirement.
Weathers was a successful racer, with his uncle as his crew chief. Cal befriended many of his competitors, including Lightning McQueen, Bobby Swift, and Brick Yardley. Despite his success, Tex Dinoco still sought to replace him, specifically with McQueen. In the 2016 season, after suffering many losses against next-generation rookies, Weathers announced his retirement. Cruz Ramirez would eventually become the Dinoco racer in his place.
In Cars 3, Cal competes in the 2016 Piston Cup season, alongside his friends Bobby Swift, Lightning McQueen, and Brick Yardley. The four racers constantly pull pranks on each other and joke around on the track. Though he was the one who got pranked the most. While being interviewed after winning a race at Rocker Arms International, Cal's pitties over-inflate his tires, while releasing Lightning McQueen balloons behind him. Others often poke fun at Cal's poor ability to think of comebacks in response to jokes.
McQueen, Swift, Weathers, and Yardley continue to perform well throughout the season, before a rookie named Jackson Storm starts a winning streak. He is still able to keep performing well as he finishes in 9th at Rustbelt Raceway, 15th at Georgia Motor Speedway, 5th at the Data Shift 400 and 27th at the Heartland Motor Speedway. Unable to keep up with Storm and the other next gen racers, Cal eventually decides to retire. McQueen approaches Cal before his departure in hopes of convincing him to stay, but Cal persists on retiring, and reminisces on the good times he had. As Cal's hauler transports him away, McQueen watches sadly.
At the Florida 500, when Cruz Ramirez manages to win the race, Tex Dinoco, Strip and Cal, approach her and McQueen to once again offer the Dinoco sponsorship. They accept the offer, and Cruz becomes the new Dinoco racer.
Profiles and statistics
- "Weathers grew up around the track watching his uncle, Strip "The King" Weathers, tear it up. The veteran racer finds himself taking a step back to make room for the next generation on the track."
- "Growing up around the track, it was natural for Cal Weathers to aspire to be a racer. But he knew that if he was going to be anything like his uncle Strip "The King" Weathers, he had big tires to fill. Racing under number 42 in the familiar Dinoco blue, Cal is even better known for his easy camaraderie with other racers than his big wins."
- According to the diecast range, he was originally going to be called Strip Weathers Jr. and was to be the son of The King.
- Another name he had before the launch of Cars 3 was Hank Weathers.
- "What? No, it's not -- Hey, your... blinker's on..."- Cars 3
- "No, you're getting a car wash, McQueen!" - Cars 3
- "Thank you, Shannon. It was a great race. I was... hey. Hey! Guido!" - Cars 3
- "Yeah. He's one of the rookies." - Cars 3
- "You know, I asked my uncle once how I'd know when it was time to stop. You know what he said? 'The youngsters'll tell you.'" - Cars 3
- "Ha Ha. Laugh it up. Real Funny." - Cars 3
- "Uh guys, I'm still right here."- Cars 3
Names in other languages
- Dansih: Carl Kilerem
- Polish: Karol Wydechło
- Russian: Кэл Реверс (transcription: Kel Revers)
- Ukrainian: Кел Халепа (transcription: Kel Khalepa)