Murray Clutchburn is a race car, that used to compete in the Piston Cup Racing Series for the Sputter Stop team with the number 92. He started his sports career as a member of the 1984 gold-winning Olympics relay race team. He would eventually be replaced with Sheldon Shifter in the 2017 season of the Piston Cup.
Murray got his start in sports as a member of the 1984 gold-winning Olympics test track relay race team. The momentum of the Olympics carried him straight into mainstream professional racing and a flourishing career in The Piston Cup series.
In Cars, Murray competes during the Dinoco 400 race at the the Motor Speedway of the South, which was the final race of the Piston Cup season. During the race, he took part in an accident between almost all of the competitors that was caused by Chick Hicks, during which he ended up on his roof and got slammed by Ralph Carlow. He was able to continue racing and finished the race.
In Cars 3, he competes in the 2016 Piston Cup season, against many Next-Gen racers. He can still be seen racing at the Los Angeles International Speedway, and after that, he gets replaced by a next-gen racer named Sheldon Shifter.
In Cars, Murray Clutchburn is a Stodgey Suaver EX stock car with Lightyear racing tires. His eyes are blue, he has a dark teal green livery with orange designs on his hood, roof and doors. He has the Sputter Stop logo on his hood, and the number 92 painted on his roof and doors. He also has an orange spoiler, black rims, and a black grille. In Cars 3, Murrary's appearance changes drastically as he is now a Capitol Motors Mark II, the same model as Cal Weathers and the returning racers from Cars. However his paintjob remains similar to the first film with the only difference being the headlights as now the number 92 is under one instead of being on it.
- Murray Clutchburn's first taste of competition was as a member of the 1984 gold-winning Olympic test track relay team. You might recognize him from specially marked boxes of Wheelies Shredded Brakes! The momentum of the Olympics carried him straight into mainstream professional racing and a flourishing career in The Piston Cup series. Lauded for his classic image, Murray sometimes sports his signature exhaust side-burns that made him such a hit with the ladies back in the day.
- Source: Car Finder
- While in most appearances, including Cars, he was presented as a Stodgey Suaver EX, in Cars 3, his model was changed to a Capitol Motors Mark II.
- While in Cars he has blue eyes, in Cars 3, they are grey. Additionally, his 1:55 scale diecast toy model depicts him with brown eyes.
- When Chick Hicks starts an accident in Cars, he hits Winford Bradford Rutherford, who then hits Murray, but after the scene where Chick says "Get through that, McQueen!", James Cleanair is in Murray's place.
- Competition number 92 was also used by: Sheldon Shifter.
- Other racing cars that where sponsored by Sputter Stop were: Randy Lawson and Sheldon Shifter.
- On Murrary's 2021 die-cast release his artwork on the package is his Cars artwork however the die-cast itself is his Cars 3 version.
Names in other languages
- Polish: Mietek Palsprzęgło