Otis is a kind lemon who is constantly breaking down on the outskirts of Radiator Springs.
In Cars 2, he breaks down on the way to Radiator Springs, having done so nine times before in the same month, but this time only halfway to the county line. He is towed by Mater for the rest of the journey to be taken to Ramone for repair, feeling glad that at least one car respects lemons like him. However, when Mater sees that Lightning McQueen has returned from winning the Piston Cup, he forgets that he is still towing Otis as he quickly heads over to greet McQueen, causing Otis to get scraped against the road as he goes. At the moment Mater finally stops, Otis is inadvertently let go straight into Ramone's House of Body Art, where Ramone is waiting for him.
At the end of the film, Otis has broken down again, but Mater, with a pair of rockets that Finn McMissile and Holley Shiftwell gave him, tows him all the way to Ramone's House of Body Art at a high speed.
Otis is painted dark blue, with a rusty tan bumper and yellow headlights. He has chrome rims. His make model is a 1972 Shyster Cremlin, similar to Fred's. He is also based on a Lada Riva 2107, with a license plate reading "06 05 62", which represents his voice actor Jeff Garlin's birthday (June 5, 1962).
Personality and traits
Unlike other lemons such as Grem and Acer, Otis is not involved in their plot and has no evil intentions whatsover. He is generally kind and compassionate, as he always thanks Mater for his service no matter how he was dragged to repairs (despite the carnage ripped on him in the way).
"Otis is no stranger to the tow hook in Radiator Springs. He's broken down more times than Mater's cousin Betsy after he got left at the altar. He's an old jalopy who wasn't quite up to snuff even when he left the factory, and life's been a challenge ever since. New parts are not available, and he's reached the limit on his roadside service card. In fact, Ramone has repaired him almost weekly for the past few months. Poor Otis just wants to spend some time on the open road ... trouble free."
- "Hey, Mater! I... Oh, gosh. I'm so sorry. I... I thought I could make it this time, but..." - Cars 2
- "Smooth like pudding, huh?" - Cars 2
- "Who am I kidding? I'll always be a lemon." - Cars 2
- "You're the only one that's nice to lemons like me, Mater." - Cars 2
- "But you never leak oil!" - Cars 2
- "Hey! Is Lightning McQueen back yet?" - Cars 2
- "He must be crazy excited about winning his fourth Piston Cup! Four! Wow!" - Cars 2
- "Mater! I'm in no hurry! You don't need to go so fast!" - Cars 2
- "Halfway to the county line." - Cars 2
- "I know! I can't believe it either!" - Cars 2
- "Thanks, Mater!" - Cars 2
- While he occasionally visits Radiator Springs, it is unclear whether or not he is a resident there.
- Otis is the only lemon that is not allied with the antagonists.
- However, like all other lemons, he is not respected, as he claims that Mater "is the only one that's nice to lemons like me."
- Mater seems to be dragging him every time when he breaks down.
- He is the only lemon that is actually seen breaking down when driving.
- From his and Ramone's conversation, it is implied that this is quite a common occurence.