- "First day in town and I'm already face-to-face with a racing superstar!"
- —Philip, Cars: Mater-National Championship
Philip, spelled Phillip in concept art, is an English tourist. His model resembles the 1937 Cord 812 Cabriolet
Cars: Mater-National Championship
In Cars: Mater-National Championship, Philip first appears in the cutscene for Radiator Springs Circuit. Lightning is casually driving down Main Street in Radiator Springs when he nearly crashes into another car. When Lightning asks the traveler why he was driving on the wrong side of the road, the car introduces himself as Philip, and explains that he is from England, where the road directions are the opposite from the United States. Philip is ecstatic when he realizes he is speaking to famous race car Lightning McQueen, and when Doc Hudson drives up to scold them for blocking the road, Philip excitedly recognizes him as the Fabulous Hudson Hornet.
Lightning offers Philip driving lessons, which he mistakes for an invitation to private racing lessons. Fred overhears and excitedly drives up, requesting inclusion. Barry also arrives and asks if a race is starting soon, and although Doc is hesitant at first, the five agree to a race around Radiator Springs.
Philip later competes in the Road Races Inside the Turkey and Canyon Run. He is also the opponent in the fifth level of Doc and the Law's Race 'n' Chase, where his goal is in front of the entrance to Radiator Springs.
Concept art of Philip can also be purchased with Bonus Points in the Bonus Content section of the main menu.
In the "Banged Up" story of World of Cars, when Doc is driving down Route 66 in search of a place to settle, he passes by Philip, who is broken down on the side of the road. Doc helps to repair him, and Philip drives away, thanking him for his assistance.
- "A private racing lesson from Lightning McQueen? Oh, my friends are not going to believe this!" - Cars: Mater-National Championship
- "Yes, yes! He just saved me from near death!" - Cars: Mater-National Championship
- "Wait up! Can I ask you something?" - Cars: Mater-National Championship
- Unused game data in Cars: Mater-National Championship suggests that Philip may have been intended to be a playable character at one point during the game's development.
- Philip's paint job is very similar to Lightning McQueen's "Radiator Springs" paint scheme, just without the bolt, numbers, or stickers.
- While Philip claims he is "just getting the hang of" driving on the right side of the road in Cars: Mater-National Championship, World of Cars storybook depicts him driving correctly many years prior to his meeting with Lightning McQueen. Additionally, Philip and Doc act as though they have not met in Cars: Mater-National Championship.
|Cars: Mater-National Championship|