Piston Cup racer
- "That was cool."
- —Ryan Laney, Cars 3
Ryan "Inside" Laney is a next-generation car who appears in Cars 3 as a rookie racer. His number is 21, and he is sponsored by Team Blinkr. He is a Next-Gen 2017 Race Car SA-2. He takes Speedy Comet's role as the Blinkr racer, and is one of the six rookies to debut in the Piston Cup at the second Motor Speedway of the South race in Cars 3.
In Cars 3, Ryan "Inside" Laney is one of the first six next-gens to replace six veterans at the second race located at the Motor Speedway of the South, having replaced Speedy Comet. He finishes in sixteenth place at the Los Angeles 500. At the Florida 500, he starts in twenty-seventh place. Later, in the crash caused by Cam Spinner, he is seen miscolored, kind of looking like Michael Rotor in a couple of shots, and gets hit by Tim Treadless, but he is seen able to continue racing, and finishes in eighteenth place, while congratulating Cruz Ramirez on her win.
Profiles and statistics
- "Ryan "Inside" Laney is a third-generation Piston Cup racer who is beloved by fans for being passionate, fun, and exciting on the track. He represents the next wave of young athletes who focus on talent, speed, and precision."
- "McQueen's still not here? Didn't he pull this when he was a rookie? At least that's what my grandfather told me." - Cars 3
Names in another languages
- Russian: Райан Трасс (transcription: Rayan Trass)
- Ryan "Inside" Laney is a pun on his US voice actor's name, Ryan Blaney, who is a professional NASCAR racer, and a rookie in the 2016 NASCAR Cup Series, the same Piston Cup Season Ryan Laney debuted in.
- During the Florida 500 crash, Ryan's paint job suddenly reversed to blue with orange stripes instead of orange with blue stripes. This miscolored version of Ryan is often mistakenly identified as Michael Rotor.
- Among the four next-generation racers who are based on real race car drivers, Ryan is the only one whose sponsor did not appear in the first film.
- In the movie, Ryan did not have any text on his spoiler, only the little Blinkr symbol, but on his die-cast, he has Blinkr written on his spoiler as well.
- For the NASCAR crossover die-cast line his number was changed to 12 matching Ryan Blaney's number for the Cup Series.