Race cars from all racing categories were invited to the event, but there was no winner, as the final race was interrupted by a series of anomalies that finally ended in Miles Axlerod's reformation. The World Grand Prix is the target of a plot to sabotage the race, directed by the evil weapons designer Professor Z. The British master spy Finn McMissile discovered the conspiracy and organized himself to stop it. At the end of the movie, it was discovered that the whole World Grand Prix was a setup by Miles Axlerod just to turn the world against alternative fuels.
In the first WGP, the races were sabotaged. In the first race, Acer and Grem broke the engines of Miguel Camino, Rip Clutchgoneski and Max Schnell. After an error of Lightning McQueen, Francesco Bernoulli won the first race in Tokyo. At the second race in Porto Corsa, three other engines were broken, those being of Carla Veloso, Nigel Gearsley and Shu Todoroki. The explosion of Shu's engine caused him to spin, and Miguel hit him. After the contact, Max hit them both. Also, Rip and Raoul ÇaRoule arrived in a terrible crash, where Shu Todoroki risked his life. Fortunately, Lewis Hamilton and Jeff Gorvette braked before the accident that involved five cars. Lightning McQueen won the race. At the last race in London, the race was suspended because Mater entered the track and brought Lightning with him off the course. After the surprise, Mater unmasked Miles Axlerod.
World Grand Prix events
All of the WGP raceways are street circuits, long and with dirt parts. Here are the circuits.
- Tokyo Circuit
- Porto Corsa Circuit
- London Circuit
- Paris Circuit (deleted race)
- Black Forest Circuit (deleted race)
- Francesco Bernoulli #1 - Italy
- Lewis Hamilton #2 - United Kingdom/Grenada
- Max Schnell #4 - Germany
- Miguel Camino #5 - Spain
- Raoul ÇaRoule #06 - France
- Shu Todoroki #7 - Japan
- Carla Veloso #8 - Brazil
- Nigel Gearsley #9 - United Kingdom
- Rip Clutchgoneski #10 - New Rearendia
- Jeff Gorvette #24 - U.S.A.
- Lightning McQueen #95 - U.S.A.
After Sir Miles Axlerod considered the last race in London to not be run on Allinol, lots of British trademarks took on to sponsor the last race, and its publicity appeared at the circuit's barriers.
- UK Motor Lubs
- Lots-O'-Huggin' Bear Car
Cars that were contracted to work for the World Grand Prix's events.
- Originally, the World Grand Prix was to be composed of five races. Paris would have hosted a "Le Mans-style 24-hour race", and in Germany's Black Forest a "DTM-style rally race" would have taken place. But these races were abandoned because it was too complex to tell. However, in the Nintendo DS version of Cars 2: The Video Game, they do appear.
- According to the country, the name "World Grand Prix" change of language, example: in Italy, Mondiale Grand Prix, in Japan: ワールドグランプリ (Wārudoguranpuri).
- The World Grand Prix has a mascot whose name was revealed to be Globie.
- There are no pit stops witnessed in any of the races, but they are available as mentioned by Acer.
- There is no #3 racer in the WGP (in development, Jeff Gorvette was originally going to be #3).